United Methodist Women
The organized unit of United Methodist Women shall be a community of women whose purpose is to know God and to experience freedom as whole persons through Jesus Christ; to develop a creative, supportive fellowship, and to expand concepts of mission through participation in the global ministries of the church.
To the woman:
- who finds meaning in her church and is drawn to its fellowship
- who feels she has gifts which are wasted or undeveloped
- who wants to be accepted for who she is
- who desires a nurturing, supportive community to affirm her own sense of purpose and commitment to God.
We invite you to join us in United Methodist Women.
United Methodist Women are an active, vital part of First United Methodist Church, Boise. We are women of all ages with varied backgrounds:
- working outside the home
- working at home
- with children at home
- with children grown
- without children
Together we are a supportive community that affirms our sense of purpose and commitment to God. We strive “to know God and to experience freedom through Jesus Christ” through:
- Bible study
We “develop a creative, supportive fellowship” through:
- monthly meetings in small groups (circles)
- learning, and
- simply being together on life’s journey.
We “participate in the global ministries of the church” by supporting both local and global ministries through “second-mile giving” of pledges and annual fund-raisers such as the:
United Methodist Women at the Cathedral have:
- sent school supplies to children in Iraq
- provided needed supplies for the Garden City Community Clinic
- donated necessary items to Chrysalis House, Boise
- contributed to United Methodist Students, Boise State University
- sent funds to Women’s Division (the parent organization) to help fund schools, clinics, and missions in places around the world.
There has been an organized unit of United Methodist Women at First United Methodist Church for over 70 years – since the first group of women organized on September 20, 1933.
We continue their legacy today with a strong commitment to:
- grow in our faith
- help women to develop their leadership abilities
- educate ourselves about life and the world’s issues, and
- reach out to those in need in the name of Jesus Christ.
Large group (General Meeting):
1st Wednesday, 12noon, Fellowship Hall, salad potluck
Small group (Circles):
Meet in homes or at the church at various times throughout the month. For information on these groups, please contact Wilma Barry at 342-4358.